We are proud to create this event and welcome all people to be a part of what will be a truly unique and joyous event for years to come.
The Sydney Skinny has chosen this location so that we can help develop the beautiful Middle Head through raising money for a walkway project. The Sydney Skinny will be a fully ticketed event as we aim to help Middle Head achieve their goal of building a walkway and completing their upgrade project.
When - Sunday 23rd February 2014
What is the distance -there are two distances you can chose from in 2014!
The Sydney Skinny swim is a short 900m swim, around the diamond shaped course in the calm and sheltered waters of Middle Head.
nudie Novice swim is an even shorter 300m swim, to a point in the centre of the Sydney Skinny course and back.
Where - Cobblers Beach, Middle Head, Sydney Harbour National Park, Australia
Age restrictions - All participants must be over 18 years of age to swim Skinny
Start time - Event site opens at 8am and we’ll be finishing up at 3pm
Swim time - Swimmers will select the wave they want to swim in, with waves starting at 9am.
Privacy - This event is a private, fully ticketed event and we will not allow spectators on the beach. We want everyone to feel comfortable and the excitement of doing something that can't do at just any beach... swim in your skin!
Where will we be clothes free? The only area where people will be clothes free is on the beach. The Festival area will not be nude/clothes free - so you and other swimmers will only be bare running from the beach into the water!
For more information about The Sydney Skinny go to our FAQs page
- Reconnect with your sense of adventure.
- Experience a truly joyous and memorable day.
- Strike a blow against destructive body pressure & practice greater self acceptance.
- Be a part of one of the world's unique and iconic events is beautiful Sydney.
- As the shortest, flatest and easiest swim on the calendar it is the perfect 'starter swim' introduction to the world of ocean swimming.
- Raise money to assist in the rejuviation and protection of Sydney Harbour National Park and other improtant National Parks & Wildlife projects.
The Sydney Skinny swim is a ticketed event, as we want everyone on the beach to be there to participate and be a part of the excitement of the swim, whilst helping us raise funds for National Parks!
So there will be no spectators allowed on the beach and only wave 1 of the swim will be open to media and photographers etc.
After the 1st wave, all media and photographers will leave the beach, with the help from the protective team from Abacus Security. Meaning all swimmers in the waves following will be comfortable knowing that everyone down on the beach will be baring all too!
- The Sydney Skinny - $35, no times or racing, just waves of swimmers being set off to run into the water with a flash of exhilaration and the sheer enjoyment of a lovely swim
- Supporters - all are welcome into the Festival area for free, which will have various different stalls, food and activities for Sydney Skinny supporters to enjoy.
*Supporters will not be permitted to access the beach, only the swimmers will be able to go to the beach. If a supporter changes their mind and wants to swim on the day the entry fee is $40 cash.
How to enter - go to the entries section of the website where you can register securely online for all swimmers and supporters. There is also a download hardcopy form if you would prefer.
Donating - Through the well-known and trusted Everyday Hero fundraising portal, anyone can become a fund raiser and start asking their family or friends to donate funds for our cause, directly to Foundation of National Parks and Wildlife. In addition to building a fundraising page, or perhaps as a more simple option, you can simply add a donation amount while completing your entry into the event.
Please ensure you allow enough time to arrive prior to the marshalling time for your swim, 20mins prior to your selected wave start time.
By car – we encourage everyone to use public transport to and from the event. There is all day parking along Middle Head Road, there are parking spaces at George’s Heights Oval and there is limited metered parking at Middle Head National Park.
Private Coaches – The Sydney Skinny will be providing private coaches from 8am to 2pm with a return service from Mosman Junction (corner of Middle Head Road and Muston St) to Middle Head Sydney Harbour National Park.
By Ferry – The ferries commence from Circular Quay at 8:55am arriving in Mosman from 9:07am, Sydney Skinny busses will be on rotation between the wharf, Mosman Junction and Middle Head.
Transport App - Try ‘Trip View Sydney’ app for all public transport options.
By Bus - There a many bus routes that travel from Sydney CBD and North Sydney.
- Bus no. 244 & 247 from Wynyard to Mosman Junction from 6 -30am
- Bus no. 190 from Haymarket to The Spit Junction from 7am
- Bus no. 190, 178, 180 from Wynyard to The Spit Junction from 7am
- Bus no. 143 & 144 from Chatswood to The Spit Junction from 8 -14am
- Bus no. 169 & 173 from Allambie Heights to The Spit Junction from 8am
- Bus no. 190 from Palm Beach to The Spit Junction from 7am
- Bus no. 230 from Miller St (corner Berry St) from 8 -43am
- Bus no. 184, 180 & 178 from Brookvale to The Spit Junction from 7am
* These bus times and routes were accurate at the time of publishing, please check with Sydney Busses prior to event day to avoid disappointment
Swim Course Map
Are you Ready to be Skinny?
“The dash from the shoreline into the waves will be the hardest bit but once I am in the water - what the hell!.”
“It will be great fun and very exhilarating to strip off and dive into the waves. Thank goodness it's going to be Summer!”
“'I'm quite shy and I have never swam naked before. But there is no embarrassment - it will be great fun.”
“I’m very proud to and excited to be joining in this unique event - it is something I will be able to tell my grandchildren...”
"… what better way than in a great community event like this - I like the idea that clothes, constraints and inhibitions are left on the sand".
“Wonderful idea. Love it.”
“We are born naked. who cares who sees your body – be naked with nature for a great cause. The more the merrier….”
“WOW. Can I just say, what an event this is! So interesting and different! Good on ya! :)”
“I heard about this morning, and booked flights from Perth to do it! Wahoooooooo”
“Coooool! Looking forward to it!”